The Solstice and Matariki

I love clear night skys in the Inlet! Each time I gasp in awe as I gaze at the star-flecked sky. 

Today is the Winter Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere and we're gearing up for the new public holiday Matariki on Friday. The date for the Matariki public holiday will change each year, as the dates for Matariki (star cluster) rising change.

Last year we were still in MIQ, but they did provide us with a celebratory hāngī meal. This year we are looking forward to attending the festivities at the local marae.

 

How are you observing this seasonal change? Feel free to share your comments below.

~Debbie

Comments

Anonymous said…
The longest day of the year for those of us in the northern hemisphere!!! Also, our sunset time will remain the same through July 3 and then it will slowly set earlier and earlier. I was up early (always) and on my front porch with my journal to paint the sky and be there for the 5:14 arrival of the solstice. I was rewarded with gorgeous sky colors and an amazing sundog that showed all the rainbow colors in a spectacular smear. People put the world in turmoil, but nature continues its dependable and soothing rhythms. We can find solace there.

Audrey
Pine Grove, PA
Leslie B said…
The season of beautiful long days here in the northern hemisphere. The light is not completely gone from the sky until almost 9:30pm here in Pennsylvania. I love the soft colors of the evening sky this time of year and the plethora of fireflies magically lighting up the garden with their twinkling glow. The long days of sunshine bring the flowers in to their full magnificence. It is a time to feel fully alive and in the flow of nature's incredible abundance.

I loved learning about the celebration surrounding Matariki...so heartwarming on many levels.
Jo said…
It has been 27 degrees here today in Redditch. I love the long light nights and just taking time to sit and listen to the birds singing. Your view and sky looks beautiful. Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing your experiences Audrey, Leslie and Jo! So lovely to hear from you! I can imagine each of you in your respective spots enjoying the long, light evenings! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Searching for Sea Forest Treasures

National Sea Week 2025

Marine Magic in Marlborough